Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Janiw School / Mountain Stream School No. 1544 (RM of Dauphin)

Known originally as Janiw School District when it was established in June 1910, its name was later changed to Mountain Stream, presumably reflecting the many small streams that flow down the slopes of nearby Riding Mountain. A one-room schoolhouse was constructed at NW20-23-20W in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin at a cost of $1,063. Its first classes were held in February 1911. By January 1947, the district had been consolidated within the Dauphin-Ochre School Area No. 1 but the school remained in operation until June 1962 when it closed permanently, after which students in this area attended schools in Dauphin. The district was dissolved in 1965. A fieldstone monument at the former school site was dedicated on 7 July 1998 to the pioneers, students, teachers, and residents of the Mountain Stream area.

Among the teachers of Mountain Stream School were Nicholas Bilash (1916), Miss Eva Didychuk (1954-1956), Julia Karalash (1956-1957), Steve Stasiuk (1957-1959), and Edward Gorchynski (1959-1961).

Mountain Stream School commemorative monument

Mountain Stream School commemorative monument (July 2013)
Source: Alan Mason

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.00738, W100.23877
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.

“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.

“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.

“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.

“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.

“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.

“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.