Historic Sites of Manitoba: Morse School No. 2096 (Municipality of Harrison Park)
The Morse School District was organized formally in July 1922 and, later that year, a one-room wood frame school building was erected at this site in what is now the Municipality of Harrison Park. The school was destroyed by fire in 1957 and was replaced by a temporary structure until 1959 when the district was consolidated with the Elphinstone Consolidated School No. 196. After the school closed in 1960, the schoolhouse was moved to Elphinstone where it was used as the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Parish Hall. A monument at the original site commemorates the 223 students and 22 teachers who attended the school through the years.
Among the teachers of Morse School were Mrs. Gayowski (1929), Ruth G. Cooley (1956-1957), and Ed G. Zurbyk (1957-1960).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
From the Past to the Present, 1898-1987 by Parkland Ukrainian Pioneer Association, circa 1988. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, Rare Book Collection F5648.P36 Fro]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 April 2019
Back to top of page