Historic Sites of Manitoba: Montrose School No. 242 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
The Montrose School was built on the southeast quarter of 8-12-15 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford, on land donated by Angus McBean in an agreement with trustees J. Mack, S. Bain, and R. Connor. It was named after the Montrose Post Office. The community became known as Harte with the coming of the Canadian Northern Railway. The school was replaced by another building in 1915, which operated until 1967 when it merged with Carberry Consolidated School No. 2404.
Among the teachers who worked at Montrose School through the years were Mr. Elliott, Miss McGregor, Miss Cornish, Miss Crewsen, Miss Govier, Miss Gillies, Miss Rankin, Miss Cowell, Miss Blair, Miss Little, Miss Byram, Miss Brown, Miss Bullard, Miss Copeland, Mr. Van Horn, Miss Jolliffe, Miss Hawkins, Mrs. Drysdale, Miss Geekie, Miss Creed, Miss Sumner, Miss Hargreaves, Miss Gordon, Mrs. McConnell, and Mrs. Thorn.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Carberry Plains, Century One: 1882-1982 by the Carberry History Committee, 1982. ISBN 0-88925-422-2. Manitoba Historical Society Library, 971.27Car, page 121.
Quest in Roots by Brookdale Historical Society, 1987. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.B81Que]
Page revised: 13 August 2016
Back to top of page