Historic Sites of Manitoba: Monominto School No. 1255 (RM of Tache)
The Monominto School District was organized formally in October 1903 and a school building operated on the northeast quarter of 28-9-7 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Tache. The school closed around 1967 and the remaining students went to Anola Consolidated School No. 2429 or Ste. Anne Consolidated School No. 2379. The building was renovated into a private residence and successive additions on all sides through the years have rendered it all but unrecognizable, except for the footprint of the original wood floorboards inside the home.
Among the teachers of Monominto School were Irene Elizabeth Lees, Lorna Mary Jack (1951-1952), Nick Alex Lebedeff (1952-1953), Mavis Andrea Jesperson (1953-1954), Murray Nimchuk (1954-1955), Mary Ann Yestram (1955-1957), George T. Reimer (1957-1958), John William Gross (1958-1961), and Mary Madeline Wyllie (1961-1965).
Manitoba School Records Collection (GR9480), Monominto School District No. 1255, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 April 2018
Back to top of page