Historic Sites of Manitoba: Monk House (134 West Gate, Winnipeg)
This two-storey brick house at 134 West Gate in Winnipeg was probably designed by local architect Walter Chesterton and constructed in 1895 for lawyer Lendrum McMeans. He never occupied the building but instead sold it to John Benning Monk and took up residence at 40 West Gate. The Monk family, who named the building “Beechmount”, expanded it in 1911 on a design by Cyril Chivers. In 1958, a verandah and small roof dormer were removed and the interior was heavily renovated. The building, now a municipally-designated historic site, received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg in 2006 for further renovations carried out by the owner at that time.
Photos & Coordinates
Armstrong's Point: A History by Randy R. Rostecki, Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corporation, 2009.
J. B. Monk House “Beechmount” (134 West Gate), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, March 1995.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2020