Historic Sites of Manitoba: Red River Grain Elevator / Ogilvie Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Mollard, RM of Macdonald)
In 1938, the North Star Grain Company began building a 30,000-bushel wooden grain elevator at the railway siding of Mollard (named for local farmer Alfred Mollard), on the CNR Carman Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Macdonald. The elevator was incomplete when it was sold to the Red River Grain Company, and completed by that firm in 1939.
Transferred to the parent company Canada West Grain around 1946, and expanded to 48,000 bushels with a balloon annex around 1951, the elevator was re-sold to Ogilvie Flour Mills in 1952 and to Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1959. Used only for grain storage between 1965 and 1970, it was closed in August 1970 and demolished in 1972.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Manitoba Pool fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Hugging the Meridian: Macdonald, a Manitoba Municipal History (1881-1981) by Betty Dyck, pages 73, 192.
Obituary [Jacob Richard Rhymer], Winnipeg Free Press, 6 January 1983, page 46.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (grant 19F-H51134, 2019-2020).
Page revised: 10 December 2022