Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minnewaska Court / Chateau Apartments (74 Spence Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey apartment block in the West Broadway area of Winnipeg was designed by local architect William Bruce and built in 1910 by George Ephraim Baldry at a cost of $55,000. The 35 by 96 foot building contained 20 apartments. Initially known as the Minnewaska Court, it was renamed the Chateau Apartments around 1937.
“A model apartment block,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 March 1910, page 8.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 559/1910, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Minnewaska Court (Chateau Apartments), 74 Spence Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 17 December 2021