This two-storey brick building on Main Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Z. Blankstein and built in 1925 by the construction firm of Fraser and MacDonald for clothier Louis Mindell. The building measured 28 feet by 80 feet and was built at a cost of about $12,000. Mindell occupied the space until the 1950s and owned it until his death in 1958. Other tenants include Central Clothing and Central Pawn Brokers (1960s) and Winnipeg Domestic Appliances (1980s and 1990s).
Mindell Block (January 2018)
Source: George Penner
Mindell Block (January 2023)
Source: Jordan Makichuk
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90187, W97.13596
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Max Zev Blankstein (1874-1931)
Manitoba Business: Fraser and MacDonald
Memorable Manitobans: Louis Mindell (1886-1958)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mindell House (292 Austin Street North, Winnipeg)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1149/1925, City of Winnipeg Archives.
609 Main Street, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
Page revised: 24 February 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!