Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cedarkine School / Milner Ridge School No. 1859 (RM of Lac du Bonnet)
Known as Cedarkine School District when it was established formally in February 1917, it was renamed Milner Ridge School District in the early 1930s. A one-room schoolhouse operated at NW12-14-9E in the Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Lac du Bonnet Consolidated School District and later the Agassiz School Division.
Among the teachers of Cedarkine / Milner Ridge School were Miss M. Sanregret (1919-1920), C. S Simonson (1921-1922), Ethel Ostry (1922-1923), Felix Sauer (1923-1924), Elizabeth G. Taylor (1924-1925), Helen Green (1925), Gordon Murray Ferg (1927-1929), Leo Gunton Fisher (1929-1930), Murray Lawrence Holmes (1930-1936), Harold John Griffin (1936-1940), Helen MacLeod Bees (1941-1944, wife of H. B. Bees), Elsie Mary Ketola (1944-1945), Helena M. Snead (1945-1946), Mary Bazinet (1946-1947), Lilian Mary Drysdale (1947-1948), Marion Bertha Murray (1948-1949), Gladys Wojciechowski (1949-1950), Olive Ellen Trask (1954-1955), Edward Evanko (1955-1956), Alice May Sien (1956-1959), Thomas T. Tyler (1959-1960), Sandra Edith Lywood (1960), Minnie Jean Glibbon (1961), Mathew Robert Riddell (1961-1962), John B. Enns (1962-1963), Eugenia Jennie Sopiwnyk (1963-1965), and Helen Mae Clark (1965-1966).
Molson West topographic map, 62I/1 West, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School division half-yearly attendance reports, (GR 1628), Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, (GR9480), Cedarkine School District No. 1859 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, (GR9480), Milner Ridge School District No. 1859 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 24 July 2016
Back to top of page