This four-storey building was designed by local architect Frank Peters and constructed in 1904-1905 on the east side of Princess Street between Bannatyne and William avenues. Its first occupants were the Miller and Richard Company, which supplied metal type and printers’ machinery, remaining there until 1931 when it left Winnipeg. Another original occupant was the Douglass-McIntyre Company, which left the building in the early 1940s. The Western Elevator and Motor Company, and the Power and Mine Supply Company moved in in 1933. The building is now a municipally-designated historic site.
Miller and Richard Type Foundry Building (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Miller and Richard Type Foundry Building (May 2020)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89935, W97.14142
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Miller and Richard Warehouse (121 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, September 1998.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 June 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!