Historic Sites of Manitoba: Middlebro School No. 2227 (Middlebro, RM of Piney)
The Middlebro School District was organized formally in January 1931 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in SW7-1-16E in Middlebro, within what is now the Rural Municipality of Piney. To account for increased attendance, a $5,000 debenture was approved for a new schoolhouse in 1947, with the facility built around August of that year. In August 1965, the district was consolidated into the Sprague School District No. 2439.
Among the teachers of Middlebro School were ? (1931-1939), Hugh R. Macphail (1939-1940), Ruth Amanda Harms Mills (1940), George E. Basham (1941), Martin Stamler (1941-1942, 1945-1946), Colestin? Champagne (1942-1943), Dorothy Margaret Penoff (1943-1944), Florence B. Coutts (1944), Irene Killyer? (1945), Cornelius John Jaenen (1945).
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 2227 - Middlebro - Permanent, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.
Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 2227 - Bill of Material - Middlebro - Addition, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Middlebro School District No. 2227, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Municipal borrowing files, (MA 0039), Middlebro School District No. 2227, GR1799, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 May 2021