Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Methven, Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa)

A wooden grain elevator at the railway siding of Methven, on the CPR Glenboro Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa, was built around 1891 by Lake of the Woods Milling. Sold to Ogilvie Flour Mills in 1954, it was re-sold to Manitoba Pool in 1959. The elevator was closed in 1968 and removed from the site.

Aerial view of grain elevator at Methven

Aerial view of grain elevator at Methven (1948)
Source: Manitoba Air Photo Library, A11596-68

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.61828, W99.73385
denoted by symbol on the map above


Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (grant 19F-H51134, 2019-2020).

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Denis Sabourin (Denis Sabourin Geomatics).

Page revised: 30 March 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!