This three-storey brick building at the northwest corner of Hethrington Avenue and Osborne Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Charles Saunders Bridgman and built in 1909 by contractor-owner Christopher Metcalfe at a cost of $6,500. The 27 by 36 foot building contained commercial space on its main floor and two residential apartments on its two upper floors.
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Saunders Bridgman (1876-1965)
Memorable Manitobans: Christopher Metcalfe (1867-1947)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 888/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 December 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.