Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Merchants Bank Building (1386 Main Street, Winnipeg)

In 1913, the Merchants Bank of Canada announced the construction of a new building to service the prosperous new suburb which was developing north of Redwood Avenue. John Danley Atchison of Winnipeg was appointed architect and the contract was awarded to George Fuller Construction of New York. The construction process consumed 23 cords of stone, 125,000 bricks, 1500 yards of plaster and 40 cubic yards of concrete. The bank directors approved a total expenditure of $28,000.

The Merchants Bank was absorbed by the Bank of Montreal in 1921. The new owner used the building and construction the north side addition in 1961. In 1979, the Bank of Montreal vacated this building and relocated to new premises. In 1985, the North West Child and Family Services purchased the building and immediately undertook a major retrofit to provide suitable work space for serving the local community. Westland Construction of Winnipeg contracted to complete the modernization, energy upgrading and partial restoration in consultation with the Historic Building Committee. Particular attention was given to retaining the beauty and distinction of this important heritage building, a municipally-designated historic site.

The former Merchants Bank Building at Winnipeg

The former Merchants Bank Building at Winnipeg (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former Merchants Bank Building at Winnipeg

The former Merchants Bank Building at Winnipeg (September 2014)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.92496, W97.12575
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: John Danley Atchison (1870-1959)

Manitoba Business: Merchants Bank of Canada

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites

Sources:

Merchants’ Bank Building (1386 Main Street), Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1982.

We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and S. Goldsborough.

Page revised: 17 November 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.