Historic Sites of Manitoba: Melton School No. 1101 (RM of Dauphin)

The Melton School District was organized formally in March 1901 and a school building was erected later that year on the northeast quarter of 25-26-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin, on land purchased for $7 from James Brown. Through the years, the school was the site for community meetings, dances, picnics, concerts, and games. In 1958, the original building was replaced by the present one, which featured indoor washrooms and a cloak room. However, within seven years the school had closed, the victim of rural school consolidation. Its remaining students were bused to school in Dauphin. The building was converted into a granary and, in 1998, a monument was erected nearby and dedicated to the pioneers, teachers, and students of Melton School.

Among the teachers of Melton School were Winnifred Robson (1938), Paul Rudiak (1954-1958), Stanley Cholka (1958-1959), Mrs. Isabel McKillop (1959-1964), and Alex Fedirchuk (1964-1965).

The original Melton School

The original Melton School (no date) by R. M. Stevenson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 58.

The second Melton School building

The second Melton School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Melton School commemorative monument with school in background

Melton School commemorative monument with school in background (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.28702, W99.99429
denoted by symbol on the map above


“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.

“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.

“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.

“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.

“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.

“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.

“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.

“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.

“Teaching staff for area schools increases to 132 for opening 1963-64 term,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 21 August 1963, page 1.

“All area schools open classes next Tuesday, 131 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 26 August 1964, page 1.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 24 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!