Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2020

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Christ Anglican Church (72 Main Street, Melita)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Between 1894 and 1897, a petition signed by eleven people was presented to Archbishop Robert Machray of the Diocese of Rupert’s Land to build a church at Melita. In 1897, a church was built on Main Street under the direction of the Rector of the time, the Reverend William Stocker. He was the architect and also carved the fine altar of solid oak which is still in use in the church today. The building was completed late that year and on 21 October 1897, a communion service was held with Archbishop Machray and four others present.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1890

Rev. Thom H. J. Watson

1894-1898

Rev. William Stocker

1898-1900

Rev. A. R. Davis

1904-1909

Rev. S. J. Roche

1910-1913

Rev. H. S. Ram

1913-1916

Rev. J. Woolen

1916-1923

?

1923-1924

Rev. W. J. Finch

1924-1927

Rev. C. E. Wilkins

1927-1928

Rev. C. J. S. Riley

1928-1932

Rev. Fredrick Franklin

1932-1935

Rev. J. I. McKinney

1935-1936

Rev. W. A. Champness

1935-1937

Capt. C. Johnston (Johnson)

1939-1941

Rev. R. L. Marrell

1941-1942

Rev. B. O. Whitfield

1943-1945

Rev. W. A. Cross

1945-1946

Rev. A. Chapman

1947-1949

Rev. W. A. Wilcox

1949-1950

Rev. N. M. Sorge

1950-1952

Rev. David S. H. Minton

1953-1954

Rev. Seaton Elliott

1954-1955

Rev. Reg Milburn

1955-1961

Rev. J. A. Lockett

1961-1964

Rev. Len Hales

1964-1965

Rev. John Barden

1965-1968

Rev. Art Nash

1968-1970

Rev. John E. Robinson

1970-1975

Rev. Don Hester

1975-1976

Rev. Michael Lawson

1976-1977

Rev. W. D. Smith

1977-1981

Rev. Anne Jacqueline Maynier

1981-1982

Rev. Percy Shepherd

1982-1985

Rev. Gregory Bailey

1986-1992

Rev. Canon George House

1992-2002

Rev. Ray McMullan

2004-2015

Rev. Mark Murray

2016

Ven. Don Bernhardt

2016-?

Rev. Anna Sproule (Associate Priest)

2017-?

Rev. Matt Koovisk

Photos & Maps

Christ King Anglican Church

Christ King Anglican Church (July 2018)
Source: George Penner

Interior of Christ King Anglican Church

Interior of Christ King Anglican Church (July 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Location (lat/long): N49.27181, W100.99305
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Our First Century: Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur by Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, pages 79-82.

We thank Father Matt Koovisk for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 October 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.