Historic Sites of Manitoba: Melbourne School No. 234 (RM of North Cypress)
The Melbourne School District was established in March 1883 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE32-10-13W in the Rural Municipality of North Cypress. The district was dissolved in 1962 and its area became part of the Carberry Consolidated School District and later the Beautiful Plains School Division.
Among the teachers of Melbourne School were Miss Best, Miss McCullough, Mr. Beecham, Miss Carter, Miss Connor, Miss Oswald, Mr. Worden, Miss Young, Miss Mcintosh, Miss Stalker, Miss Lane, Miss Calvert, Miss Hannah, Miss Hood, and Miss Livingston.
Carberry East topographic map, 62G/14 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
The Carberry Plains: 75 Years of Progress. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C36 Car]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 December 2014
Back to top of page