Historic Sites of Manitoba: Medd House Museum (324 Second Street, Winnipegosis, RM of Mossey River)
The Medd House is one of the last grand wooden homes in Winnipegosis. Built in 1900 for George Bellamy, it was purchased in 1914 by Dr. Alfred Ernest Medd when he married Agnes McArthur. This home served as residence for the Medd family, the doctor’s office, and the first “hospital” where operations were performed on the dining room table or kitchen table until 1927.
The house has been primarily owned by the doctor and his family. His widow lived there until the 1970s then the family kept it as a summer residence. The family donated the house to the village for use as a museum with a number of the original furnishings and personal artifacts.
On the main floor the Medd house has a kitchen, pantry, dining room, parlour, foyer, closed-in veranda, and the doctor’s office. The second floor has four bedrooms, bathroom, closets and a large landing or sunroom. There is a cellar and a small unattached garage. The garden area still has raspberry bushes, pin cherry bushes, gooseberry bushes and an apple tree as well as rhubarb plants and some herbs. There is a well sized lawn that has been kept trimmed and there are beautiful old shade trees on the lawn area. A cement sidewalk leads from the road to the veranda and kitchen door.
The displays downstairs reflect the lifestyle of Dr. Medd and his family in the 1930s. The doctor’s office has been set up as authentically as possible to reflect the history and work of Dr. Medd. The second floor master bedroom contains furniture, clothing and personal artifacts. The bedrooms have displays reflecting the history of the area. One room is dedicated to Edna Medd, daughter of Dr. Medd and the founder and curator of the Winnipegosis Museum. Another displays the history of the hospitals in Winnipegosis, and the final bedroom is a childrens room and displays vintage toys.
The Medd House Museum is open for tours from May to September from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Admission is $5. For more information, contact the museum at 204-656-4273 or 204-656-4318.
Photos & Coordinates
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Pauline Riley (Winnipegosis Historical Society).
Page revised: 6 February 2022