Historic Sites of Manitoba: McMunn School No. 1892 (McMunn, RM of Reynolds)
The McMunn School District was organized formally in June 1917 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in McMunn in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Reynolds. The school closed in June 1968 and the district was dissolved later that year. Its catchment area became part of the Agassiz School Division. The school building was moved to Glenn and renovated into a private residence. The teacherage remained at the original site at the time of a 2019 site visit.
The teachers of McMunn School were Mrs. E. M. Eaton (1917-1918), Frank B. Lyster (1918-1919), Mrs. H. M. Edie (1919-1920), Miss Alice A. Sanford (1920-1922), Mrs. Ida E. Milligan (1923-1925), Mrs. Mona Schofield (1925-1926), Lila Burge (1926-1928), Mrs. E. J. White (1928-1930), Mrs. E. Hetherington (1930-1932), Mr. William Nakka (1932-1938), Ernest Nakka (1938-1939, 1940-1942), James H. Dann (1940), Miss Alice Benoit (1942-1943), Miss Sophie Boychuk (1943-1944), Miss Anne Gloria Pastushenko (1944-1945), Mrs. Philimone Gowan (1945-1946), Miss Iris B. Fitzgerald (1946-1947), Mrs. Ardel McKinnon (1947-1948), Miss Anne G. Pastushenko (1948-1951), Miss Elsie Prokopski (1951-1952), Miss Kathryn “Kate” Kosterewa (1952-1961), Miss Bernice Kafka (1961-1962), Ruth Skimming McMunn (1963, 1965-1966, 1967-1968), and Mrs. Carole Hreno (1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
McMunn, East Braintree, Glenn: Pioneer History, 1913-1989, pages 148-158.
We thank Lorna Annell and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 September 2019
Back to top of page