In 1871, Kenneth McKenzie arrived in the Minnedosa area from Gloucester, Ontario. His wife and two children joined him in 1879 and for several years they lived in a small log house. That building was replaced by this house, built for the McKenzies in 1891-1892 by stone mason T. D. Taylor of Minnedosa, using fieldstone that had been collected as they cleared their land. Mackenzie was active in local politics, serving as a councillor for the Rural Municipality of Saskatchewan (now part of the Rural Municipality of Oakview) from its formation in 1887 until 1900. The building is a municipally designated historic site (1990).
McKenzie House (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
McKenzie House (September 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.12471, W99.94051
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: McKenzie House (436 Victoria Avenue, Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
McKenzie House, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!