Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: McBride School No. 558 (RM of Oakview)

The McBride School District was established formally in November 1888 in what is now the Rural Municipality of Oakview. A school building was erected the next year, in the southwest quarter of 28-14-19 west of the Principal Meridian. It closed in 1964 and was dissolved in January 1967. Its remaining students went to Basswood Consolidated School No. 1252. The only remnant of the former school at the site are the steps and few stones from its foundation, surrounding by the trees of its shelterbelt. A small stone monument was erected in 1983, for the centenary of the Rural Municipality of Saskatchewan.

The teachers who worked at McBride School through the years included John Millar, A. E. Millan, Angus McGregor, Joe Knight, Mr. Lockhart, Miss York, Mr. McCullam, Miss Donkin, Miss Wilson, Miss Hume, Miss Westwood, Miss Scott, Miss Atchison, Miss Cameron, Miss Ogden, Miss McDowell, Miss Harrison, Miss Howarth, Miss Smith, Miss Clackson, Miss Hales, Miss E. Riddell, Muriel Reekie, Clara Nesbitt, Grace Frame, Florence Grant, Mrs. E. Perks, Alice Gray, Elsie Fox, Leilla Cornwall, Muriel Fuller, Rose Wright, Mary Stratford Northam, Bernice Dawson, Eleanor Wareham, Janet Stewart, Edith Thompson, Anne Inglis, Gwen Gray, Donna Radcliffe, Winona Horner, Edith Hickson, Edith Lee, Miss Rutledge, Mrs. A. Juce, Clara McDonald, Mrs. E. Buchanan, Mrs. G. E. Graser, Mrs. J. Templeton, Mrs. J. Wareham, and Mrs. Doreen Trott (1962-1964).

McBride School commemorative monument within the former school shelterbelt

McBride School commemorative monument within the former school shelterbelt (August 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.21127, W100.02555
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Basswood Leaves From the Past, Basswood & District Centennial, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38Bas]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Basswood, 1878-1978: A Century of Living by Basswood and District Historical Book Society, 1980. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.B38 Bas]

We thank Denise Weir for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.