Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mayville School No. 375 (RM of Pipestone)
The Mayville School District was established formally in March 1885 and a school building was erected on the southeast corner of 1-9-26 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. The district was dissolved in 1965 and remaining students went to Woodnorth Consolidated School No. 1533 or Virden Consolidated School No. 144. The building is no longer present at the site, but a monument erected in 1970 by the Mayville Agricultural Society commemorates it, along with pioneers and citizens of the Mayville area.
The teachers of Mayville School were Percy D. Harris (1892), Mrs. Jack Atchison, Miss McPhee, Mr. George Giles, John W. Peters, Miss Murray, Mr. Muldrew, Miss Tully, Lizzie McLaren, Mina McLaren, Miss Walker, Mr. Carswell, Carol Story, Ida Story, Jean Rathine, Mr. C. K. Newcombe, Miss Johnson, Miss Jean Muir, Miss Isaac, Miss La Lier, Miss Traverse, Miss Hammond, Miss Grace Irvine, Alberta Gall, Miss Elsie Lennon, Miss Eupemia Fraser, Margaret Irvine, Miss Anne Harper, Miss Anne Abram, Miss Mary Smith, Muriel Wilde, Miss Louise Penny, Miss Beth Wilson, Miss Violet Tapp, Miss Pritchard, Miss Georgina Hunter, Miss Joyce Brown, Miss Ethel Rollo, Miss Winnifred Simpson, Miss Marjorie Skelton, Miss Evelyn Marciniac, Miss Olive Mills, Miss Adair, Miss Donna Denbow, Shirley McCormack, Mrs. Jerry Nevraumont, Miss Virginia Eilers, Miss Louise Van Loo, Mrs. Della Cameron, Mrs. Margaret McIntosh, Mrs. Edna Frame, and Mrs. Nancy Gardiner
“Personalities,” Manitoba School Journal, Vol. 6, No. 9, May 1944, page 2.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 317. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 August 2016
Back to top of page