Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marion School (619 Des Meurons Street, Winnipeg)
Built in 1950 at a cost of around $200,000, on a design by local architect E. Fitz Munn of the firm Smith Carter and Katelnikoff, this school was also known as Marion Public School, named in commemoration of long-time Trustee and Chairman Joseph Alderic Marion. For a time, it operated as a branch of St. Joseph’s Academy under the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. An eight-classroom $130,000 expansion was made in 1953-1954.
The school is operated by the Louis Riel School Division.
Photos & Coordinates
“Building decreases in St. Boniface for 1950,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 January 1951, page 3.
“Building of new schools expected to rout bogey of crowded classes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 July 1953, page 3.
“St. Boniface advance poll now open,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 October 1953, page 3.
“City glutted with stations, owner says,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1953, page 3.
“St. Boniface takes steps to prevent overcrowding,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 August 1954, page 3.
“St. Boniface School Division No. 4,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 December 1975, page 40.
Ville Cathedral de Saint Boniface: The Cathedral City, promotional pamphlet, c1958.
“School opts for provincial writing test,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 May 1979, page 2.
“Marion School celebrating 50th anniversary,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review, 12 April 2000, page 9.
“Career trek lays out education options,” Winnipeg Free Press Community Review North/Northeast, 23 April 2003, page 10.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 3 February 2021