Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marconi School No. 2085 (RM of Rossburn)
The Marconi School District was established formally in October 1921 and, the following year, a one-room schoolhouse (with an attached three-room teacherage at the rear of the building) was erected at NW23-20-23 W, in the Rural Municipality of Rossburn. The school closed in 1958 and its remaining students went to Ruska Rawa School No. 1260. The district was dissolved in 1966. The building stood vacant for several years. Designated a municipal historic site in 1990, it was restored as a museum in 1992.
The teachers who worked at Marconi School included Stephan H. Bellinsky (1922), Jacob Hlady (1922-1923), Peter Mitenko (1923-1924), John Nazerewicz (1924-1925), Basil Lazaruk (1925-1927), Mrs. Edith Bowman (1927-1928), J. S. A. Thomas (1928), Ronald Simpson (1928-1929), Oliver Clayton Bricker (1929-1930), Miss Laura Randall (1930-1931), Miss Caroline Shumanski (1931-1935), John Parsons (1935-1938), Mrs. Helen Antonation (1938-1940), Fred Letwin (1940-1941), Miss M. Radley (1941), Joseph Haluschak (1941-1942), Milton Chuchmuch (1942-1943), Mrs. Caroline Leschasin (1943-1944), Natalie Glushka (1944-1945, 1946), Audrey Kowalchuk (1945-1946), Mary Pawlust (1946-1947), Nadia Stechkewich (1947), Chris Krawchuk (1947-1948), Maurice Cucmak (1948-1949), Marion Badger (1949-1950), Mrs. Ann Prosyk (1950-1956), and Nick Kalyniuk (1956-1958).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2015
Back to top of page