Historic Sites of Manitoba: Malonton School No. 1653 (Malonton, RM of Armstrong)
The Malonton School District was established formally in February 1913 and the first school building, a one-room structure, was erected at 28-19-2E (in what later became the in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong) later that year. About five years later, another one-classroom school was built in Malonton, at 26-18-2E. Both were operated by the same school board, and were designated Malonton North and Malonton South, respectively. Teacherages were constructed at both sites. About 1955, Malonton North School closed, and the building and teacherage were sold and removed from the site in 1964. The Malonton South School closed in 1967 but, as of June 2019, its building still stands vacant at the site.
Among the noteworthy people who attended Malonton South School was Mark Smerchanski.
A History of Education in the Evergreen School Division by John C. Gottfried, MA thesis, University of Manitoba, 1965.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Terry Turcan and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 July 2019
Back to top of page