Historic Sites of Manitoba: MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion Plaque (William Avenue, Winnipeg)
This plaque is located near the southwest corner of the Council Building of Winnipeg City Hall (William Avenue side) and is a tribute to the 1,447 Canadians who fought with the Battalion in Spain from 1936 to 1939. There were 106 Manitobans among the soldiers, of whom 21 died and are buried in Spain. The plaque was unveiled on 13 October 1989.
MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion Plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Location (lat/long): N49.89930, W97.14000
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Commemorative Plaques of the Winnipeg City Hall (510 Main Street)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg General Strike Plaque (William Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Titanic Plaque (City of Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old City Hall Plaque (Princess Street, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2012
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.