Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lowland School No. 1684 (Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton)

The Lowland School District was established formally in June 1913 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the northeast corner of SE2-24-1E in what is now the Municipality of Bifrost-Riverton. The district was dissolved in 1966 and its catchment area became part of the Arborg Consolidated School District and later the Evergreen School Division.

Among the teachers of Lowland School were Cas Hollinger and Donald Bjornson.

Lowland School

Lowland School (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 16.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.04500, W97.34549
denoted by symbol on the map above


School District Formation Files [Lowland School District No. 1684], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Obituary [Donald Bjornson], Winnipeg Free Press, 28 January 2023.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 28 January 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!