Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Louise School No. 116 (RM of South Norfolk)

Formally established in January 1881 and named for Princess Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria, the school was the first one in the Rural Municipality of South Norfolk, situated in the southwest quarter of 15-8-10 west of the Principal Meridian. It operated in a log building until 1890 when a new frame structure was erected on NW15-8-10, which served until January 1959 when the school district became part of Treherne Consolidated School No. 537. The building was sold to a local farmer and it later burned down.

The teachers of the original Louise School were Miss N. Henselwood, Mr. T. J. Lamont, Miss Marion Motley, Mr. McClise, Miss Dunning, Fred Marwood, and Mr. Robson. Ones of the second school included Hazel Robertson, M. E. Lamont, Olive Mills, Frank Hughs, Helen Keating, Elva Robertson, Marguerite Hodge, Violet Smith, Mary Spencer, Dorothy Smart, Gwenelle Johnson, Eva Mair, Muriel Griffith, Andrew Moore, Jennie Brethour, Sarah McKenzie, Mildred Murphy, Florence Cullen, Gertrude McCandless, Alice Ferris, Rosa Johnson, Hedwig Ammeter, Eda Stanton, Phyllis Keddy, Donella Darling, Cathy Olund, L. McKenzie, Mabel Henders, Janet Lees, Jean Kerr, John Aldis, Vera Lounsbury, Ruth Brown, Ione Sampson, Senta Ammeter, Mildred Barnum, Eunice Kilmury, Faye Vane, and Joen Derkson.

Louise School

The second Louise School building (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 37.

Louise School

Louise School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.66505, W98.74547
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Tiger Hills to the Assiniboine: A History of Treherne and Surrounding District by Treherne Area History Committee, 1976, pages 55-56.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 June 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.