Historic Sites of Manitoba: Long Creek School / Longburn School No. 93 (RM of Portage la Prairie)
Known originally as the Protesteant School District of Long Creek when it was established in April 1880, it later became the Longburn School District. William McKenzie offered some of his farm land at SW36-13-8W, in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie, for a schoolhouse. After he moved away in 1882, classes were held in an empty granary on the property for the first months of the 1883-1884 school year, while a new building was constructed on the southeast corner of SW35-11-8W. In 1910, it was replaced by another building on the southeast corner of NE34-13-8W, on land provided by farmer Peter McIntyre. In turn it was replaced in 1949 by a Quonset-type structure. After the school closed in 1962, the structure was moved to Macdonald for use as a high school. Nothing remains at the former school site.
The teachers who worked at Longburn School through the years were Farquhar McRae (c1882), William Pye, Frank Fraser, T. E. Knapp, S. Beattie, Minnie Balmer, T. A Broadfoot, C. K. Newcombe, Laura Mott, Kate McKinlay, Edmund Todd, Edgar Smith, Minnie Glennie, Marie M. Lowlie, Mae McRae, Christina McMillan, Olive M. Oswald, Annie B. McMillan, Jessie Crisholm, Harry McKenzie, Margaret McDonald, J. A. Everatt, Jean Whitelaw, Lillian Henderson, Mildred Walker, Marguerite E. Taylor, Margaret G. Tidsbury, Ruth McMillan, Jessie MacKenzie, Grace Tucker, Jean Paterson, Catherine Caskey, Ruth Crosland, Ethel Rinn, Mary MacDonald, Norma Paterson, Irene Blight, Inez Bray, and Florence Potter.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 November 2018
Back to top of page