Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lockport School No. 6 (RM of St. Andrews)
The Lockport School District was organized formally in July 1871 and a school building operated on Lot 110E in the Parish of St. Andrews, in what is now the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews. A one-room schoolhouse was constructed between 1922 and 1923 on a design by Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle. It closed around 1967 as jurisdiction for the area became the responsibility of the Lord Selkirk School Division. The former school buildings, dating from the early 20th century, were renovated into a private residence, now connected together into a single building.
Among the other teachers of Lockport School was Lorna L. Ellison (1951-1952, grades 3-5).
Photos & Coordinates
“Tenders for Lockport School,” Manitoba Free Press, 29 August 1922, page 16.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Randy Rostecki and Cam Timlick for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 February 2020