Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lockerby School No. 570 (RM of Riding Mountain West)

The Lockerby School District was organized formally in April 1889 and a school building was subsequently erected on the northeast quarter of 8-22-27 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Rural Municipality of Riding Mountain West. A new, larger schoolhouse was constructed in 1923.

Among the teachers of Lockerby School were Randolph Martenson (1889), Ruth Brunt, H. W. Foster (1895-1897), Annie Burrows (1898-1900), T. W. Ebbern (1899), Annie Smith (1900-1901), S. H. Adams (1902), Perry W. Grant (1903), W. Atkinson (1903), Miss Ina Tod (1917-1918), Miss Hazel McIntyre (1918), Miss Gertie Clee (1918-1919), Miss M. Davidson (1919), Miss E. Bartel (1919-1920), Miss Bowles (1920), Miss Amy Allen (1921), Miss Gladys Bell (1921-1923), Miss Annie Jackson (1923-1924), Miss Lucinda Davidson (1924-1926), Miss Hogeboom (1927), Mr. J. G. Minshull (1927), Mr. M. L. Holmes (1928), Mr. Bingham (1928-1929), Miss Neta Sadler (1929), Miss Williams (1929-1930), Miss O. A. Neuman (1930-1931), Miss Gertrude Staples (1931-1933), Miss Inez Virtue (1933-1936), Miss Gladys Dunkin (1936-1938), Isabelle H. Dresser (1938-1940), Miss Jean Smith (1940), Mrs. Marion Pulfer (1941), Rhoda Barry (1941-1942), Miss Sophie Russin (1942-1943), Miss Anne Charney (1943), Miss Emily Olsen (1944), Alex Sabeski (1944-1945), Mrs. Pauline Gallant (1945-1946), Miss McLean (1946-1947), Miss Vicki Czarnecki (1947-1948), Miss Hayword (1948), Miss Noreen Hawson (1949), Dorothy Beischer (1949-1950), Miss Magdalene Daechsel (1950-1951), Miss Shirley Mansell (1951-1952), Miss Irene Sereda (1952-1953), Archie Cameron (1953-1954), Miss Beverly La Haye (1954-1955), Mrs. Sophie Klimack (1955-1957), Miss E. C. McKay (1957-1958), Miss Helen Glod (1958-1960), Miss Adele Trakalo (1960-1961), Mrs. Evelyn Shindruk (1961-1962), Richard Osika (1962-1963), Arlene Fruin (1963-1964), and William C. Kozak (1964-1966).

The school closed in 1966 and its remaining students went to Inglis Consolidated School No. 2458. The building was sold and moved away but a monument unveiled in August 1985 commemorates it.

Lockerby School

Lockerby School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 89.

Lockerby School commemorative monument

Lockerby School commemorative monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.88916, W101.19439
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

R.M. of Boulton: Once Upon a Century, 1884-1984 by R.M. of Boulton, 1986, pages 38-43.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 June 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.