Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lily Bay School No. 461 (RM of Coldwell)

The Lily Bay School District was established formally in July 1885 and it operated a schoolhouse at SW28-20-6W in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. The school closed for ten years, re-opening in 1953. The school closed in 1968 and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building, dating from around 1905, was used for a time as a granary. It is now vacant.

Among the teachers who worked at Lily Bay School through the years were Alfred Morton (1886), Mr. Small, Lena Doney Lundy (1898), Mr. Black, Miss McMurray, Miss Wren, Mr. Stewart, Alice Kellett Lemoine (1912), Hazel Fisher Preston, Grace Ellis, Isabella Sutherland, Miss Hawkins, Lila Fraser, Mr. Douglas, Noble Shaw, Mildred Hackland Abrey, Luella Galpern, Violet Boyd, Beatrice Quilliams Williams, Edith Sanders Penny, Rossie McMunn Lundy, Miss Pollock, Tina Bauman, Jean Garrel, Eva Harvey, Merle Sandmoen, Irene Evans, Kay Miller, Miss Alcroft, Miss Johnson, E. Miskelly, Tom Breckman, Betty Falk, Nellie Styan, Dorothy Blue, Grace Packulak, Beryl Lane, Malcolm Jackson, and Andrea Sweetland.

Lily Bay School

Lily Bay School (no date) by M. Hall-Jones
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 64.

Lily Bay School

The former Lily Bay School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 248.

Lily Bay School

The former Lily Bay School building (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Lily Bay School

The interior of Lily Bay School building (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.74255, W98.25020
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 by Lundar and District Historical Society, c1980.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 April 2014

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.