Historic Sites of Manitoba: Libau East School No. 1231 (RM of St. Clements)
The Libau School District was formally established in March 1903 and a school building was erected at present-day site of the St. Joseph’s Polish National Cemetery in the Rural Municipality of St. Clements. After being destroyed by fire on 24 July 1949, a granary was moved to this site (NE11-15-6E), renovated, and used until a new building opened in October 1952. Closed in December 1966, the district was consolidated into the Lord Selkirk School Division. Some students attended Libau West School and others went to Happy Thought School. The former school building was sold and renovated into a private residence. In 2018, a commemorative sign was installed nearby.
The teachers of Libau East School were Herman Strassburger (1903), Alfred Grant (1904), George H. Schmidt (1904-1905), Albert Moormans (1905-1906), Frederic Busch (1908), Fritz Brauer (1909), Jaroslaw Weywara (1910-1912), Kurt E. Wendeborn (1912-1915), Stanley E. Gunn (1916), Charles D. Smith (1916), Miss E. Gillies (1916), Mrs. M. Brown (1916-1918), Ida Schmok (1918-1919), Martha Winger (1919-1920), Mollie Dorothy Rosenstock (1920-1921, 1925), Bessie Knelman (1921), Harry Blair (1922), Margaret Ingimundson (1922), Annie Drawson (1922), Jennie Sherebrin (1922), Annie Drawson (1922-1923), Sarah Goodman (1923), Gladys S. Matheson (1924), Miss Rubin (1924), E. J. Neufeld (1924), Mary McKee (1925), Bernhardina Abraham (1926-1927), Hermine L. Drawson (1927-1928), Mary Buzdygan (1929), Stanley Corbett Henderson (1929-1930), Julia Garry (1930), Abiah Davies Morgan (1931-1935), Erna Emilie Ozol (1935-1940), Teenie Evelyn Kozyra (1940), Bernard Schellenberg (1941), William J. Smoler (1941-1942), Jean Lyzun (1942-1943), Rosalie Cecilia Holub (1944, 1946), Erna Emilie Ozol (1944-1945, 1946-1949), Anne Machewski (1945), Jacob Hiebert (1949-1950), Johnny Hykawy (1950-1951), Jack Mike Kozyniak (1951-1952), Vera Ada Katazinski (1952-1953), Polly Cherniak (1953-1960), Irwin Horst Kujat (1960-1962), Meroslawa Horbas (1962-1963, 1964-1965), Patrick Cole (1963-1964), Allan Charles Spence (1965-1966), and Ruth Eldora Hastman (1966-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
East Side of the Red, 1884-1984 by St. Clements Historical Committee, 1984.
School Districts of the Libau Area of Manitoba, 1887-1967 by Charlene Dusyk and Sylvia Sweetland, Winnipeg, 2017.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 August 2020