The Leroy School District was formed in December 1913 and a one-classroom, wood-frame school building operated at NW24-25-3W, near the community of Fisherton in what would later be the Rural Municipality of Fisher. In 1967, the school closed as its catchment area was absorbed into the Lakeshore School Division. As of 2003, the building was still standing at the original site, along with a commemorative sign. It was gone at the time of a 2015 site visit.
Among the teachers who worked at Leroy School was Mildred Edith Richarda Dowd (1936-1938).
Leroy School (no date) by M. Hall-Jones
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 21.
Leroy School (circa 1936)
Source: Lynn Jones
The former Leroy School building (circa 1978)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1565.
The former Leroy School building and commemorative sign (February 1996)
Source: Neil Christoffersen
Leroy School commemorative sign (October 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N51.18170, W97.76668
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Lynn Jones for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Neil Christoffersen and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 February 2016
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.