The community of Lavinia was established in 1904 as a station point on the CNR Rapid City Subdivision, in what is now the Municipality of Hamiota. Named for Lavinia Hoy, wife of a member of the municipal council, Lavinia had a post office and a church, the former of which closed in 1965. A fieldstone monument at the site commemorates the church and pioneers of the district.
Lavinia commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.27374, W100.66929
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Western Canada Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Lavinia, Municipality of Hamiota)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Lavinia, Municipality of Hamiota)
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 February 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.