Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fargey’s General Store (La Riviere, Municipality of Pembina)
This two-storey wood frame building at La Riviere, in the Municipality of Pembina, was built in 1919 for farmer John H. Fargey to replace an earlier store on the same site dating from 1894, originally operated by Fargey and his brother-in-law William Henry Swales (c1949-1900), that was destroyed by fire on 1 July 1919. It sold general merchandise and also hosted the local post office. In 1907, the firm acquired the buildings and assets of the Robertson Adams Lumber Company, enabling it to sell building supplies and fuel.
Subsequent operators were Fargey’s sons Harold Taylor Fargey (?-1951) and William Mather “Will” Fargey (1890-1960). It was taken over by Harold’s son Gordon Fargey (?-?) in 1950 and sold the following year to John Dugald “Blair” Morrison (1903-1997). He operated the business with his wife Mabel Beatrice Lees (1909-1987) until April 1973 when they sold it to Kim and Claire Wiklund. The store closed in October 1999 and the building was vacant at the time of a 2019 site visit.
Death registration [William Henry Swales], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Bad fire at La Riviere,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 July 1919, page 5.
Turning Leaves: A History of La Riviere and District by La Riviere History Book Society, 1979.
Obituary [Mabel Beatrice Morrison], Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1987, page 25.
Obituary [John Dugald “Blair” Morrison], Winnipeg Free Press, 4 January 1997, page 39.
“From our files,” Manitou Western Canadian, 27 October 2009, page 2.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 December 2019
Back to top of page