Historic Sites of Manitoba: Landseer Monument (Landseer, RM of Victoria)
A monument on the north side of Highway #2, between Holland and Cypress River in the Rural Municipality of Victoria, was dedicated in 2000 at the former site of the hamlet of Landseer. The Canadian Pacific Railway established a stopping point here in 1904 and probably named it after British painter, sculptor and engraver Sir Edwin H. Landseer (1802-1873). At one time, two grain elevators were located on the south side of the highway, one operated by the Lake of the Woods Milling Company and the other affiliated with Manitoba Pool Elevators. The Landseer post office opened in 1937 and closed in 1962.
Visitors should sign the guest book inside a case beside the monument.
Agents / Buyers (Manitoba Pool)
Photos & Coordinates
Obituary [William Henry Ruddock], Winnipeg Free Press, 18 March 1985, page 36.
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 August 2021