MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: La Fontaine School No. 1958 (Municipality of West Interlake)

The La Fontaine School District was organized formally in April 1919 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW20-21-4W in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The school closed in 1967-1968 and the building was converted into a private residence.

Among the teachers of La Fontaine School were Mrs. P. H. L. Martel (1919-1920), Charles Dubé (1920-1923), J. Nosared Paquin (1924-1925), Cecile Simons (1925), N. Deslauriers (1925-1926), Arthur St. Pierre (1926-1927), C. Roland Lauze (1927-1929), Laura J. Desjarlais (1929-1930, 1942-1943, 1944-1945), Miss A. Allard (1930), Mrs. M. E. Dufault (1931), Mathilde Presch (1932), Lucian J. Phaneuf (1932-1933), A. L. Picard (1933), Roderick Louis MacDonald (1934-1936), Mary Longbottom (1936-1939), Mary Bazinet (1939), Elizabeth M. Bennett (1939-1942), Helen Dufresne (1945-1946), Gerard Clavet (1948-1949), Gilbert M. Champagne (1947), Anne E. Senchuk (1947-1948), Yves Jean Rene Le Senn (1948-1949), Constance Emma Alexander (1949), Ellen Mary Berg (1949-1950), Juliette Trudeau (1951-1952), Yolanda M,. Lambert (1952-1953), Alice Marie-Cecile St. Germain (1955-1956), Blanche R. Carbonneau (1956-1957), Evelyn I. Beauchemin (1957-1959), Lily Irene Rushforth (1959, 1960), Leona Rainville (1959), Lorraine Y. Richaud (1959-1960), Margaret Eleanor Taylor (1961-1963), Mary Lynne Dayment (1963-1964), Allen G. Havard (1964-1965), and Donna N. Hedden (1965-1966).

The former La Fontaine School building

The former La Fontaine School building (September 2019)
Source: Christine Loff

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.83080, W97.99331
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [Lafontaine School District No. 1958], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Beyond Beginnings by Eriksdale Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, 1996, page 66.

Manitoba School Records Collection, La Fontaine School District #1958 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and Christine Loff.

Page revised: 23 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.