Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lafleche House (400 St. Charles Street, Winnipeg)
This two-storey brick veneer house at 86 St. Charles Street (later renumbered to 400 St. Charles) in Winnipeg was built in 1915 for farmer Louis Jules LaFlèche (1866-1955), his wife Florestine Caron (1876-1954), and their twelve children. A subsequent owner was realtor David R. Finkelstein (c1941-?).
In 1952, the property was purchased by Murray Reid Fraser (1919-2013) and Hazel Marguerite Stevens Fraser (1922-1989) and the Fraser family lived here until they downsized in 1981. At the time of the 1952 sale, the property was larger than at present, including several lots to the south, where three additional homes now sit. Despite the sale of these three lots (two in 1961, the third in 1969), the house retains a generous yard and continues to dominate the street.
“Mortgage sale of valuable suburban property,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 November 1941.
Obituary [Flora Ann McInnes], Winnipeg Tribune, 6 November 1945.
Obituary [Hazel Marguerite Fraser], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 October 1989, page 44.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
Page revised: 15 May 2021