Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ladysmith School No. 1055 (Municipality of Norfolk Treherne)
The Ladysmith School District was established in February 1900, named for a battle in the South African (Boer) War, and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE20-9-10W in what is now the Municipality of Norfolk Treherne, on land donated by Robert Fletcher. The school closed in June 1957 and the building was destroyed by fire on 1 November 1962. In 1963, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Spruce Hills Consolidated School District and later the Pine Creek School Division.
The teachers of Ladysmith School were Miss Maggie Smith (1900), Annie Smith, Miss McLean, Cecelia Drummond, Elizabeth Jamason, Ethel Grey, Clara Leslie, Andrew Moore, Mr. Cooper, Sarah Stanton, Rita Smith, Grace Sutherland, Harriet Staples, Eleanor Saunders, Mary Delgaty, Gladys Matheson, Julia Williamson, Lucie Hampson, Valera Robertson, Constance Condor, Dorothy Sharp, Lillian Martin, Lorne Penman, Hazel Robertson, Doris Gill, Ena Eldred, Allen Dickson, Muriel Precious, Mary Frizzley, Muriel Dobbin, Jean Adair, Mrs. Roy Gibson, Jackie McGregor, Edith Ackerman, Tina Funk, Miss Froese, Beatrice Campbell, Ann Bailey, Muriel Dobbin, Mrs. Van Dobbin, and Delmer Dobbin (1957).
A commemorative monument at the former school site was dedicated on 3 August 1991.
Macgregor West topographic map, 62G/15 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
Tiger Hills to the Assiniboine: A History of Treherne and Surrounding District by Treherne Area History Committee, 1976, pages 50-52.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
R.M. of Victoria: Past & Present, Volume 1 by RM of Victoria History Book Committee, 2002, page 193.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 April 2021