Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kosiw School No. 1245 (RM of Dauphin)
The Kosiw School District was organized formally in July 1903 and a one-room wood frame school building was erected on the northeast quarter of 28-23-20 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The district was dissolved in 1965 and the remaining students were bused to schools in Dauphin. The school building was used for a time as a granary but now appears abandoned.
Among the teachers of Kosiw School were B. Lazaruk (1938), M. Sytnick (1954-1955), Miss Julia Ilnisky (1955-1956), Michael Belinsky (1956-1957), Mrs. Eugenia Lodge (1957-1958), Nettie Ukrainec (1958-1959), Miss Nettie Nakoneshny (1959-1960), and Blenchard Osika (1960-1961).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2021