Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kolomyja School No. 1165 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)

The Kolomyja School District was organized formally in January 1902 and a school bulding was erected on the northwest quarter of 22-27-22 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Gilbert Plains. The original building was replaced in 1919 by another wood frame structure. The district was dissolved in 1967 and the remaining students went to Brickburn Consolidated School No. 998 in Gilbert Plains. The former school building still stands at the site, along with its teacherage which is used as a private residence.

Among the teachers who worked at Kolomyja School were Stephen Negrych (1946-1947), Charles Heath, and Wasyl Zaporzan.

The first Kolomyja School

The first Kolomyja School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 69.

Kolomyja School Teacherage

Kolomyja School Teacherage (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 69.

The second Kolomyja School

The second Kolomyja School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 69.

The former Kolomyja School building

The former Kolomyja School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

The former Kolomyja School building

The former Kolomyja School building (July 2017)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.33050, W100.48653
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.

We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 15 August 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.