Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kjarna School No. 647 (RM of Gimli)
The Kjarna School District was organized formally in April 1897 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW16-18-4E in the Rural Municipality of Gimli. It was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Evergreen School Division.
Among the teachers of Kjarna School were John Kjernested (1897) and G. B. Arilius Isfeld (1939).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
“Wild wings,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 March 1939, page 11.
School District Formation Files [Kjarna School District No. 647], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 September 2019
Back to top of page