Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kiwanis Happyland Park (520 Marion Street, Winnipeg)
Not to be confused with the former Happyland in the Wolseley area of Winnipeg, this park is located at the southwest corner of Marion Street and Archibald Street. Named the Kiwanis Happyland Park, it was originally a playground and pool owned and operated by the Kiwanis Club of St. Boniface. The ten-acre site was opened officially by Mayor Frank Dowse on 2 June 1933 before a crowd including several hundred schoolchildren. In addition to the natural attractions, the site featured a large swimming pool and wading pool. The Kiwanis Club operated the park until 1935 when the property, then valued at $7,000, was transferred to the St. Boniface Parks Board in exchange for forgiveness of debts on the site. The exchange was marked with a formal event at the Nicolette Hotel on 6 June 1935, with Past Kiwanis Club President Pat Quinn making the presentation to Parks Board Chairman Brother Joseph.
On 8 September 1955, a new $20,000 pool was opened officially by Kathie McIntosh, with St. Boniface Mayor J. G. Van Belleghem and St. Boniface Kiwanis Club President Paul Kelpin. A $33,000 bathhouse was added in 1960.
“Opening of Kiwanis Park at St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 June 1933, page 5.
“Night of song will be staged in St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 August 1933, page 3.
“St. Boniface Kiwanis press drive for park,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 May 1934, page 9.
“St. Boniface Kiwanians plan fete for weekend,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 May 1935, page 17.
“Kiwanis Club presents park to St. Boniface,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 June 1935, page 7.
“Pool opened,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 June 1935, page 4.
“The crowd goes overboard for Kathie,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 September 1955, page 3.
“3 new pools open in Saint Boniface,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 August 1961, page 3.
“Outdoor pools likely to remain,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 December 1983, page 5.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 4 March 2017
Back to top of page