Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kitchener Park (Wyatt Road, Winnipeg)

This former park in Winnipeg was once bordered by Fairfield Street (which ran parallel to the Canadian Pacific Railway Stonewall Branch Line) to the west, Carruthers Avenue (since removed; now in-part the northeast section of Wyatt Road) to the north, Sharp Boulevard (now Inkster Boulevard) to the south, and Greenway Street (since removed) to the east. The parcel was part of a land acquisition by the City of Winnipeg from West Kildonan in 1907. This approximately 30-acre site at the northwestern-most corner of the city was purchased by the Winnipeg Parks Board in May 1911 and named for British military commander Horatio Herbert Kitchener (1850-1916). The area remained undeveloped and was used as a dairy pasture land. By 1941, the Parks Board contemplated exchanging this site for property in areas of the city with inadequate amounts of public green space, though these plans did not materialize. It remained property of the Parks Board until around 1953, when it was abandoned and returned back to the Property Committee. The area is now primarily occupied with commercial and industrial operations.

Kitchener Park

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.94744, W97.18554
denoted by symbol on the map above


Chataway’s Map of Greater Winnipeg [West Sheet] - 1912, University of Manitoba Libraries Map Collection.

Chataway’s Map of Greater Winnipeg enlarged & revised edition - 1917, University of Manitoba Libraries Map Collection.

“Winnipeg has not bought park site since 1911 and some badly needed in city,” Evening Winnipeg Tribune, 16 November 1929, page 7.

“Few downtown lots found suitable for use as children's playgrounds,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 February 1941, page 2.

“Sargent is exclusive for lovers of sport,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 July 1941, page 3.

[Map of the City of Winnipeg showing original corporate limits and various extensions thereto, Revised 1949.]

“Delegation opposes dump in northwest area of city,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 November 1949, page 3.

“Three new playground sites chosen,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 July 1953, page 3.

“The Most Lovely and Picturesque City in All of Canada”: The Origins of Winnipeg’s Public Park System by John Selwood, John C. Lehr and Mary Cavett, Manitoba History, Number 31, Spring 1996.

Winnipeg Parks Board Minutes, City of Winnipeg Archives.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 4 February 2024

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!