In 1906, this steel pony truss bridge was built over the Little Saskatchewan River in the Rural Municipality of Daly. It was used until 1981 when it was purchased by the Town of Birtle and moved to this site over the Birdtail Creek as a project commemorating Birtle’s 100th anniversary. A former railway bridge was installed in its place at the original site.
The former Kirkham’s Bridge at Birtle (September 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.42033, W101.06155
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kirkham’s Bridge (Little Saskatchewan River, Municipality of Riverdale)
From Generation to Generation compiled in 1958 and 1987 by the Kirkham’s Bridge Women’s Institute.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 January 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.