Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (South Railway Street, Killarney, Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Maps | Sources

A last remaining wooden grain elevator in Killarney, on the CPR Napinka Subdivision in the Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain, was built in 1953 by United Grain Growers. Its initial 100,000-bushel capacity was expanded to 192,000 bushels with the construction of a crib annex on its east side in 1961. With newly opened inland terminals nearby that were several times its size, the elevator was sold in late 1999 to Paterson Grain. The building was demolished in late September 2017.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1912-1941

William J. Schnorr

1941-1944

Eldon C. Freeman

1944-1946

G. Melville Hedley

1946-1964

Eldon C. Freeman

1964-1984

Harvey E. Nichol

Photos & Maps

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney (1963)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney, with Manitoba Pool B and A elevators in the background (August 1977)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Grain Elevator Inventory, slide 2132.

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney

The former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney (August 2014)
Source: Jean McManus

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney

The former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney (August 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney

The former United Grain Growers grain elevator at Killarney (August 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.18499, W99.66224
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator “A” (South Railway Street, Killarney, Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator “B” (South Railway Street, Killarney, Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paterson Grain Elevator (South Railway Street, Killarney, Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)

Sources:

Reflections: A Community History of the Rural Municipality of Turtle Mountain and the Town of Killarney by the J. A. V. David Museum and New Horizons, 1982, page 31.

“Purchase UGG,” Glenboro Gazette, 26 October 1999, page 2.

“Two of three inland terminals open at Killarney,” Shoal Lake Crossroads, 4 September 1999, page 10.

United Grain Growers Fonds, MSS76, Box 59, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.

We thank Kim Langen for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Jean McManus.

Page revised: 26 September 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.