The Joslin School District was formally established in the Rural Municipality of Wallace in April 1887, probably named for local farmer John Joslin. It operated until January 1965 when the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Virden Consolidated School District. The building is no longer on the site and a stone monument commemorates it.
Joslin School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 74.
The former Joslin School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1451.
Joslin School monument (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.98978, W100.96552
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 August 2015
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.