Historic Sites of Manitoba: Norquay Park / Michaelle Jean Park / Children’s Hospital of Winnipeg Monument (Beaconsfield Street, Winnipeg)
A park at the foot of Selkirk Avenue along the Red River in Winnipeg was purchased by the Winnipeg Parks Board in exchange with the Winnipeg Hydro-electric Department, which had bought space previously in Victoria Park to establish a standby water plant. On 19 July 1923, it was named Norquay Park in commemoration of early Manitoba Premier John Norquay who, in the 1880s, had resided on nearby Hallet Street. A wading pool was installed later that summer, with landscaping, tree planting, and beautification efforts in the following years.
A monument commemorating the location of the first Children’s Hospital of Winnipeg, originally founded in February 1909, is located adjacent to the Norquay Community Centre. It was unveiled by Prince Edward on 2 June 2008. The park itself was renamed for Governor General Michaelle Jean on 12 July 2010.
“Norquay Park city’s latest,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 July 1923, page 3.
“Norquay Park,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 July 1923, page 6.
“Parks used by record crowds,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 January 1924, page 6.
“Early opening record for athletic tracks,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 May 1924, page 8.
“First citizen plants tree,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 May 1932, page 3.
Agenda – Standing Policy Committee on Protection and Community Services – July 12, 2010, City of Winnipeg Clerks Decision Making Information System.
“One weird, wonderful road,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 September 2013, page A8.
“Point Douglas green space named after Gov.-Gen. Michaelle Jean,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 July 2010.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 25 April 2021