Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Jameswood School (1 Braintree Crescent, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Smith, Carter, Katelnikoff Associates, and built by the M. Natch Construction Company, this 18-room elementary school was completed as part of a $540,000 building program which also included an expansion to Silver Heights School. When opened officially at a ceremony on 29 October 1958, by School Board Chairman A. H. Conklin, this St. James - Assiniboia School Division facility supported the new 430-residence Jameswood Park military housing development and primarily hosted the children of personnel stationed at the nearby Royal Canadian Air Force No. 17 Wing. Six classrooms and a gymnasium were added in 1967 by the local firm of Ward and Macdonald. Now known as the Jameswood Alternative School, it hosts grades 9-12.

Principals

Period

Principal

1958-1965

Raymond Cleave “Ray” Davis (?-2017)

1965-1966

Peter Edward Lewis (1919-2012)

1966-1972

Frank H. Voth

1972-1973

Mr. J. Friesen

1973-1977

?

1977-1980

Jack Van Den Bossche

1980-1985

George Brown

1985-1987

Nick Yacheson

1987-1988

?

1988-1989

Sharon Smith

1989-1990

David Frye

1990-1993

?

1993-?

Cheryl Chaban

?-2014

?

2014-2015

Tom Tarrant

2015-2016

Ryan Miller

Vice-Principals

Period

Principal

1959-1965

Miss Dorothy H. Richardson

1965-1968

Mrs. D. Rowe

1968-1969

George Brown

1969-1973

Gordon C. Tovell

1973-?

Mr. H. Sheldon

Teachers

No information.

Photos & Maps

Site Location (lat/long): N49.88670, W97.25593
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Repair Depot No. 8 School / Jameswood Place School (Winnipeg)

Sources:

“Vote Wednesday on St. James schools bylaw,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 October 1957, page 15.

“Tender notice for schools,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 November 1957, page 37.

“RCAF men, families in full occupancy of Jameswood Park,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 June 1958, page 13.

“St. James - Assiniboine School Board,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1993, page A11.

We thank Mari-Jean Nachtigall (St. James-Assiniboia School Division) and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 4 March 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.